Trigger Warning


TRIGGER WARNING: Many of my posts contain triggers as I fearlessly inventory my emotions.
Some of these are brutally honest as I veer from negative to positive.




Sunday, December 13, 2015

Aware


Relapse.

One thing I’ve come across as I’ve read about recovery is that relapse is inevitable.  I think this is the single thing driving my decision to divorce H-er.  Say he does seriously start to work a 12 step program and gains sobriety even for a short time.  I can’t bear to go through the inescapable relapse.  It fills me with terror.   I’ve survived all these years because I went numb.   I’ve discussed this with my therapist.  I can turn the emotion off.  I become numb and I’ve gotten very good at it.   It allows me to function.  But I lose that protection as I work my own program.   I believe I can’t survive a relapse if I have to actually feel it.   

But there are two parts to relapse.  There is the addict who relapses and then there is the co-addict who relapses too.   That’s me.  I hate being a co-addict.  I hate looking at this list of 37 symptoms and being able to say I am currently doing a lot of them.  That means it’s time for a meeting and some self-care.    I can do that at least.  It’s a step in the right direction.


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment